Book Review: The Art of Social Media – Power Tips for Power Users
Posted by Stan Skrabut, Ed.D.
If you are interested in getting a jump on using social media for your business or non-profit, I would strongly recommend The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users* by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick. The authors have put together a book that is part to-do list and part resource guide. This should be your quick start guide.
This book is a quick read, I was able to finish it in two sittings. It has 123 tips that span 196 pages and 12 chapters. It also includes a list of applications and services referenced in the book.
The topics covered in the book include:
- How to optimize your profile
- How to feed the content monster
- How to perfect your posts
- How to respond to comments
- How to integrate social media and blogging
- How to get more followers
- How to socialize events
- How to run Google+ Hangouts on Air
- How to rock a Twitter chat
- How to avoid looking clueless
- How to optimize for individual platforms
- How to put everything together
While I was familiar with most of the content in the book, I did learn about a number of new techniques and tools that I will put to use.
Someone who is new to social media will find the tips in a logical order. This order is basically a checklist that will lead to early success. Experienced users will be able to leverage the tips for tasks they may not frequently do, e.g., socializing an event. I am involved in helping with a couple of conferences. I will be referring to the appropriate chapter to maximize our social media use.
The book will be within arms reach as I try new ideas as well as tweak my task checklists. Whether you are new to social media or quite familiar with it, I believe you will find The Art of Social Media: Power Tips for Power Users* very useful.
Note: If you get the digital version of the book, you will be able to access the countless links found in the book.
* In the spirit of full disclosure, this is an affiliate link, which means that if you purchase this item through my link I will earn a commission. You will not pay more when buying a product through my link. I only recommend products & systems that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands.
Plus, when you order through my link, it helps me to continue to offer you lots of free stuff. 🙂 Thank you, in advance for your support!